Berries are sweet sour types of fruits that taste awesome especially when they are fresh. But the thing is that there are poisonous berries out there that look so tempting that can kill us. That my friends, is why we should be aware of things that can take our lives especially what we consume. Not to mention some people use those berries to decorate their house because of the beauty of the berries themselves.
Let us introduce you to these 5 poisonous berries that we see every day and might have never noticed the danger they can cause. If you have kids or pets around the house, try to avoid using any of these berries in decoration. Let’s see if you have ever used or had any of these poisonous berries before.
Who would ever think that such red and shiny berries are too poisonous to eat like that? Holly berries contain theobromie which is an alkaloid that is related to caffeine and found in chocolate. However, they are poisonous for your pet dogs if consumed too many. You can either keep them out of reach of children and pets or choose to buy other fruits instead.
Swallowing holly berries can cause vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, and drowsiness. Holly leaves, branches, and berries are beautiful holiday decorations, but the berries are poisonous; remember that. If treated on time, the patients should be okay; but you should be cautious if you choose such poisonous berries as decoration.
You might have heard of the reputation of poison ivy, and yes they are poisonous berries. These inedible berries contain oxalates which are the needle-like crystals that cause pain and swelling in the lips, face, tongue, and skin. You don’t have to consume them to experience the pain, just touch them and you will also get itchy rashes as well.
Poison Ivy produces rather small and unremarkable blossoms that are off-white in color with orange-y centers. These poisonous berries and plants are native to Western, Central, and Southern Europe as well as Macaronesia, Northwestern Africa, and Asia.
Normally, people keep Jerusalem Cherries as colorful houseplants in winter months. The berries of Jerusalem Cherry look like orange cherry tomatoes which makes them one attractive food. Those poisonous berries contain solanocapsine, the substance that can cause gastric problems and vomiting if ingested by children. More than that, the fruit is way extra toxic for cats, dogs, and birds.
Also, remember to wash your hands after handling these poisonous berries. If you know that you have kids and pets around, try to get rid of them since such harmful plants should not be kept around the house. Contact the hospital immediately if the member consumed the berries, and you can clean the victim’s mouth to remove the remaining pieces while waiting.
There are songs that include these berries in, some people might have thought that these beautiful berries are edible. Think again because this popular Christmas decoration is toxic for root to leaves. Mistletoe has white or pink berries that grow in clusters which make them absolutely interesting and attractive.
Both the leaves and the berries are poisonous, but the leaves contain more poison. The thing is that berries won’t cause too much harm if only a few are ingested. However, don’t try to eat them either because they can cause convulsions, blurred vision, stomach cramps, and diarrhea. Eat more or less, mistletoe are not what you should try; so let’s just be aware of its poisonous-ness and stay away.
Actually the fruits are okay, but the seeds inside the fruit are so poisonous they can cause death very suddenly. These berries contain highly poisonous alkaloids known as taxanes that are found in every part of its tree except the fruit around the seed. There are many species of yew, and all of them contains the same poisonous alkaloids.